Four 2-hour sessions offered individually or in succession. Each session includes a multimedia presentation, a special guest, and facilitated group discussion. Participants will leave with practical information, accessible tools and local resources.
Session 1: Living and Dying Well
- history of death and dying in the US
- advance directives 101 : protecting yourself and your loved ones from unnecessary suffering.
- navigating the medical landscape
Session 2: Human Remains : Lifecycles, Ecology, and Disposition
- overview of contemporary practices and underlying cultural understandings.
- Current options and their environmental and social impact:
conventional burial, cremation, body donations, natural burial, and innovative options of the future.
session 3 : Memorial Arts: saying goodbye and honoring our dead
- Presentation exploring a variety of formal, communal and private rituals
- Resources, tips, and tools for meaningful mourning, honoring the lives of our loved ones before and after death.
- Discussion of continuing bonds with our dead.
Session 4 : Building Community Capacity: showing up for each other
- How can we help each other through illness, loss and grief?
- Inspiring models of mutual aid
- What to say? myths and tips for supporting those we love